Methods to Resolve SQL Server Error 26
Users often see “SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 – Error Locating Server/Instance Specified” error message while connecting to SQL Server.
SQL Server Error 26 occurs when users trying to connect to a SQL Server named instance. The reason of the SQL Server Error 26 is the client stack could not receive SSRP response UPD packet from SQL Browser.
Fix SQL Server Error 26
You have to create an incoming rule that allows traffic from all promising IP addresses that are configured for the failover cluster instance and from all possible IP addresses of the remote server. For this you have to follow the below steps
- Open Adminstrative Tools, from Control Panel
- In Adminstrative Tools, click on Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
- Under Windows Firewall with Advanced Security on Local Computer column, click on the Inbound Rule and then select New Rule from the right pane
- From New Inbound Rule Wizard window, select Custom and then click on the Next button
- Under Does this rule apply to all programs or a specific program? select All programs then click on Next button
- Form Protocol type list, select Any and then click on Next button
- Under Which remote OP addresses does this rule apply to? select These IP addresses and then click on Add button
- In IP Address dialog box, under This IP address or subnet type the IP address and then click on Ok button
- Under What action should be taken when a connection matches the specified conditions? select Allow the connection and then click on Next button
- Click on the Next button to complete the New Outbound Rule Wizard steps
Other possible causes of SQL Server Error 26 with solution
SQL Server does not allow remote connections
- To resolve the SQL Server Error 26 open SQL Server Management Studio, Right click on the database and select properties
- On Security page, select SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode and click on Ok button
- Restart SQL Server
If you are still facing the SQL Server Error 26, then there could be a same name conflict between two systems. Check whether the computer name, system name is same if yes, then try to system using its IP address.