How to Recover Data from Corrupt MDF file in SQL Server Database
This blog will guide you step by step how to easily recover data from corrupt MDF file in SQL Server Database.
In today’s era, almost all large organizations use SQL Server to manage their important data. However, due to virus attack, abrupt shutdown, and other issues, the SQL Server database becomes corrupted and users can not access their data.
MDF file is known as the Primary Database file which contains tables, triggers, functions, and much more data. In this case, corruption in the MDF file is the worst situation for the users. Before we go to the solution, we first need to know the reasons for damaging MDF files
Here, we will explain both manuals as well as the automated solution i.e. SQL Database Recovery Tool to perform this task.
Let’s us know what can cause SQL MDF File Corruption.
Causes for SQL MDF File Corruption
There can be many possible reasons by which the MDF file got corrupt. Some of the main reasons are as follows:-
- Corruption can occur if MDF files exceed the maximum storage size limit.
- If the file header is damaged, it will damage the MDF file.
- Virus attack, hard disk failure, sudden system shutdown are also causing MDF file corruption.
- If the SQL database is used and a network failure error occurs in the middle, it will damage the MDF file.
Due to all these reasons, MDF file is corrupted and users are unable to access their data. The following section describes the solution to recover corrupt MDF file.
Read More– How to Restore SQL Server Database from MDF File
Recover Data from Corrupt MDF File Using Manual Methods
There are multiple inbuilt tools available in SQL Server which is helpful for MDF database recovery. Follow the below steps to repair corrupted MDF file.
Recover Corrupt MDF File With DBCC CHECKDB
- First, you need to run DBCC CHECKDB on the corrupt SQL database by the following query:
DBCC CHECKDB (Name_of _corrupt _database)
- Now, check the index ID. If index ID > 1, drop it and create it again. In case of index ID is either 0 or 1, then run DBCC CHECKDB again with the multiple repair options such as-
DBCC CHECK (name_of_corrupt_database, repair_fast)
DBCC CHECK (name_of_corrupt_database, repair_rebuild)
DBCC CHECK (name_of_corrupt_database, repair_allow_data_loss)
What to Do if the Manual Method Fails?
The manual solution is not always safe to recover data from corrupt MDF file in SQL Server Database. There is no guarantee for successful MDF database recovery. Manual way also has some limitations such as it is unable to repair multiple corrupted MDF files, requires technical knowledge, a very time-consuming process, and high chances of data loss. To overcome all these problems, it is recommended to use SysTools SQL Database Recovery tool. This is a reliable and easy solution to recover corrupt MDF file without any technical expertise. It comes with a simple and graphical interface that also useful for non-technical users.
The MDF database recovery software supports to repair MDF file along with all data such as tables, rules, triggers, functions, and much more. It is compatible with all Microsoft SQL Server versions like 2019, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008, etc. The tool not only recovers the damaged MDF file but also export the recovered data directly to the SQL Server Database. Also, the user can easily recover deleted SQL objects as well as table records.
Steps to Recover Data from Corrupt MDF file Using SQL Recovery Tool
Follow the mentioned explained steps to recover MDF file in SQL Server Database in a hassle-free manner.
Step 1. Download and Install the Tool
100% Secure Free Download
Step 2. Click Open and add MDF file in the software.
Step 3. Choose Scan Options between Quick and Advanced. And also select SQL Server MDF file version.
Step 4. After the scanning process, the software display a preview of MDF database objects like triggers, rules, tables, etc.
Step 5. Now, select Export to SQL Server Database and fill the correct SQL Server credentials.
Step 6. Select Destination Database between Create New Database and Export to Existing Database.
Step 7. Choose Export with Schema or Schema & data as per your need. And click on the Export button to start the process.
Features of MDF Database Recovery Tool
- A simple interface and easy to use for non-technical users.
- Recover data from corrupt MDF file and directly export to the SQL Server Database.
- Supports to repair both MDF and NDF database files.
- Preview of recovered MDF data items like tables, functions, triggers, etc.
- Displays preview of deleted records in red color.
- Allow to repair SQL Server database with a corrupt log file.
- Recover deleted SQL Database objects.
- Supports Microsoft SQL Server 2019 and below version.
In the above blog, we will learn how to recover data from corrupt MDF file in SQL Server Database using the manual method. Thus, the manual method has some limitations and difficult to perform by non-professional users. Therefore, we mentioned the reliable tool that helps to recover corrupt MDF files with all items and directly restore database on an existing database or as a new database.