Ways to Fix “SQL Server Login Failed Error 233”
While accessing the DB sometimes user faces the situation when they logging into SQL Server Authentication mode, and it displaying the error message:
SQL Server Login Failed Error 233 – Workaround
We can overcome the issue faced by users while authenticating the SQL Server through common fixes. There are some of the possible ways, which helps user to resolve the error by checking and enabling the following settings in SQL Configuration Manager as discussed below:
There are two or more SQL Servers, which are associated across network. Then, all the communication is done by using TCP/IP protocol. There is a default port for SQL Server Installation, i.e. 1433. This port can be changed if required through SQL Server Configuration Manager. For SQL Server to be connected properly, TCP/IP should be enabled. However, if it is disabled then, follow the steps given below:
- Open MS SQL Server in your system
- Go to configuration tools, and then open SQL Server Configuration Manager in your system >> SQL Server Network Configuration.
- Choose TCP/IP option and enable it with a right-click
After completing the procedure, restart the SQL Server for the changes to take place.
2. Shared Memory Protocol
The Shared Memory Protocol is used for connecting SQL Server, which is running on the same system. It is not useful for most of the database activity. Sometimes, the user faces an authentication error, when Shared Memory protocol is disabled. It can be easily enabled with the few possible steps as discussed:
- Go to Start → All Programs → MS SQL Server → Configuration Tools → SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Choose SQL Server Network Configuration.
- Then, right-click on the option Shared Memory → Choose Enable.
3. Named Pipes Protocol
Named Pipes protocols are established for local area networks. In it, a part of memory is used by one procedure to pass the info to other process. Another way can be on the same system or on a networked system. User faces an error because the Named Pipes are disabled, so to enable it user can follow the same procedure as mentioned above by opening the SQL Server Configuration Manager → SQL Server Network Configuration → Named Pipes Protocol →Enable.
4. Virtual Interface Adapter
VIA is Virtual Interface Adapter, which works with VIA hardware. Even, the user faces an error when VIA is not enable in your system. So, to remove an error issue, enable the VIA option from the SQL Server Network configuration.
5. View Port in Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall acts like a wall in between the server and your system, to protect from all malicious attacks. However, various ports and services are refrained by default from firewall. Even SQL Server ports are not viewed in firewall. SQL Server ports are running on the system, are added to exception, and then firewall filters all traffic from those ports. SQL Server runs on 1433 port by default but if the default port is changed, then the new port is added to the exception. It can be done following the step:
- First, open Control Panel in your system.
- Now select Windows Firewall → Change Settings.
- Click on Exceptions, and then select Add Port.
- A window will appear, now fill the port number, and click on Ok button.
- Then, enable the SQL.
6. Check for Remote Connection
To enable the remote connection is also important. If this feature is turned off, then SQL Server will work properly on your system but if your feature is on then, follow the steps given below:
- Click on Server node → choose Properties.
- At left Tab select connection → check the option “allow remote connections to this server”
In the above discussion, there are some relevant solutions discussed to remove the SQL Server Authentication Error 233. If the user still faces an error, then they can utilize an alternate method, i.e. use sqlbrowser.exe. It is another way to prevent the occurrence of this error by simply searching sqlbrowser.exe on the drive where SQL Server is installed. Then, copy the path of sqlbrowser.exe and create an exception of that file on Firewall. It helps to resolve the SQL login failed error 233.