Troubleshoot Microsoft SQL Server Error 3271
While backing up a database in SQL server, a user may encounter failure and experience the following error:
There can be numerous reasons behind Microsoft SQL Server Error 3271 which all are input/output related. In this blog we will enlighten the users with the major reasons responsible for causing this error and also the proposed solutions that can help overcome it.
Why Does SQL Server Error 3271 Occur?
The major reasons responsible for the occurrences of this SQL error code 3271 are:
- (i) Unavailability of space
- Due to the lack of storage capacity of the drive in order to fit the backup created, the error can arise.
- (ii) Issues created by VSS Writer
- When some data is backed by Windows server, its replica is created in the same volume. The replica is known as Volume Shadow Copy Snapshot. For this a VSS writer is needed and if any issue is generated from its end, the SQL Error 3271 is encountered.
- (iii) Corruption of SQL database
- Corruption of SQL database, the one that is being backed up also proves to be a reason for the generation of this error.
If you are not sure about the actual reason of the error, then it is recommended to run a check through the SQL logs. After getting acquainted with the real reason behind the error, appropriate measures or resolutions should be deployed in order to rectify the issue and to avoid the error in future.
Microsoft SQL Server Error 3271 – Resolution
(1) Increase Storage Space
- In case the reason behind this SQL error 3271 is lack of space in the hard drive or storage medium, the backup process gets terminated with a warning message.
- In order for rectification, check whether the backup device has enough space to accommodate the created backup.
- If the space is not available, create free space or you can use an external storage medium for saving the backup.
(2) VSS Writer
- While working with VSS Writer, the problem is basically caused by a problematic SQL instance. It prevents from taking a snapshot of the database that is being backed up.
- The first step is to figure out the instance that is creating an issue. Once the instance is identified, try running the backup process without using that instance.
- In case you cannot figure out the instance causing the problem, then stop all the instances in the server and run the backup process.
- It should be kept in mind that when all the instances are stopped, the SQL VSS writer will not be used while backing up.
With the help of the above manual solutions, the Microsoft SQL Server Error 3271 can be avoided and the backup process can be run successfully.